Walcot Street receives full planning permission - December 2017

By 13:00:00

 Planning and Listed Building consent has been granted for the renovation of this Grade II* listed building in Walcot Street, Bath. The original building fronting onto Walcot Street is a late Georgian pair of Merchant’s Houses ( Circa 1800) , which have a very distinctive concave shopfront – a small landmark in the street. In the late 1980s the ground floor and basement had been converted into a single retail unit, along with a rear extension (an early Feilden Clegg design), and the upper floors had been converted into two maisonettes and a flat.

The approved scheme will return the original building back into two three storey maisonettes with a small retail unit facing the street at ground floor level. At the back the 1989 extension is to be replaced with two small townhouses.  These will be compact and quirky, working with the very tight constraints imposed by the site including incorporating an existing vault into one of the houses, and a lack of legal access to any external spaces.

The design makes the most of opportunities to include balconies at the rear facing East over the Avon valley, with living spaces making positive connections with the daylight and views afforded by the site location.  Walcot Street was always a working commercial street, with the back yards full of workshops, stables, abattoirs and even a women’s prison. The architectural language picks up on the masonry of the surrounding buildings, and uses a zinc roof with a curved ridge in reference to the “back yard” location.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Ten Points of Departure